Looking for HSC Economics past papers to practice your skills and apply your knowledge? You’ve come to the right place. Go straight to papers>>
You’ve had the opportunity to learn about the economic challenges and issues in a contemporary Australian context in your HSC Economics course. Broadly speaking, in your exam, you can expect to be assessed on your ability to demonstrate your analytical, problem solving and communication skills to make informed judgements about economic issues.
As with all HSC subjects, doing past exam papers plays an important role in helping you prepare for your final exams. In particular pay attention to past HSC Economics exams from 2019 onwards, which will give you a good idea about what to expect this year. We’ve got HSC Economics past papers from 2002 to 2019 to help you.
We’ve organised the past papers by course and year, naming the links as accurately as possible. If you find any errors, please let us know.
Sometimes, there is only a marking guide available, in others, the marking guide contains sample answers as well. The table usually shows each question and the criteria with each mark or mark range.
3 Tips to Help you Prepare for Your HSC Economics Exam
- Make the Syllabus Work for you. As with most HSC subjects, the HSC Economics syllabus should be your ‘go to’ document when preparing for your HSC exam. If you cover everything in the syllabus you can’t help but be prepared. A smart way to do this is to convert the dot points in the syllabus into short answer questions. E.g. The dot point, ‘investigate recent trends in unemployment in Australia’ becomes, ‘What has impacted recent trends in unemployment in Australia and how is this likely to impact the Australian economy in upcoming years?’
- Know how to Apply What’s Happening Economically. Stay up to date with what’s happening economically. Secondly, you need to know how to apply what you know as examples to support economic theory. Students who receive a Band 6 provide lots of examples which relate to the question. The more recent they are, the better. This is even applicable for short answer questions since it shows that you can relate real-life examples to the question provided. It goes without saying that you can expect questions to reference, directly or indirectly, whatever has been going on in the country during the recent year/s.
- Complete Economics Past Papers. We suggest you do as many of these as you can but three as a minimum before your exams. Make sure that you do these under exam conditions and that either you or someone else marks the paper afterwards to give you feedback.
3 Tips to Help you Ace Your HSC Economics Exam
- Use Trends Over Single Statistics. Static indicators are very narrow in scope whereas trends define movements of an indicator across a certain period of time. Trends are far more useful in showing an indicator’s fluctuations and the reasons for these. Trends help you to show positive or negative impacts as a result of policies introduced. By using trends in your responses you’ll be better able to answer questions comprehensively.
- Plan Essays Before You Start Writing. Outline your Introduction with a view to defining the main terms, including a relevant statistic and indicate the subsequent points you intend covering. Also plan which statistics and diagrams you intend using in each of your follow-up paragraphs. Taking time to plan your essays at the start is a sure way to help you write essays that flow logically and which demonstrate your knowledge and ability to apply it to the question.
- Define all key Economic Terms. This is an effective way to get marks since it demonstrates your economic knowledge to the marker in the most efficient manner. Include these at the start of all short answers and longer paragraph responses but remember with essays to only define the economic term that pertains to the theme of the question. This will show the markers that you understand what has been asked and is a great way to transition to the appropriate economic theory and statistics.
Looking for some extra help with HSC Economics?
Don’t wait until the last minute. Get help now. We’ve got a fantastic team of experienced HSC Economics tutors. They’re passionate about Economics and can help you prepare for and ace your HSC trials and finals.
We offer personalised, one-on-one tutoring in your home. If you’re not able to have face to face tutoring, or if you’d prefer, we also have a great online tutoring platform and many online tutors are available.
To find out more and get started with an expert Economics tutor, get in touch today. Give us a call on 1300 312 354 or contact us here.